Monday, May 7, 2012

Mulch, mulch baby!


Can you find the schnauzer in this picture?


Does this garden need plants or what?  At least the rabbits seem to be leaving it alone now that catzilla is on nightly rounds. 



Last year in an attempt to control this weed infested area, I started mowing it.  This year I'm giving it a fresh edge, a mulch finish and calling it my rear lawn.  Cocktails on the rear lawn at six anyone?


It wasn't like I got nothing else done but this weekend was all about the mulch.  Years ago I used to get mulch from a landscape company and their slogan was. "If it's not mulched, it's not finished".  I wholeheartedly agree.  Still, it's probably my least favorite garden task...well next to leaf removal in the fall but let's not go there-November comes soon enough.  This year my plan is to hit it early and hit it hard so I don't get caught with my pants down again when we get stretches of nasty hot weather in May and June.  Admittedly, that's my plan every year but this is going to be the year I actually accomplish it.  Yes siree, this is going to be year!


Parting is such sweet sorrow even if it's only for a week or two.  The next couple of weeks are going to be busy.  Company arrives Friday and I'll be literally tossing them out the door Sunday morning on my way to Vermont for the first plant buying trip of the season.  I work full time so evenings are the only free time I have during the week and a night owl I'm not.  So as much as I hate to do it, I'm going to need to put the workout schedule on hold.  Normally I train with weights four to six nights a week, sprinkle in some cardio, and try to attend two yoga classes.  If anyone has any ideas on how to squeeze a few extra hours out of a day I'm all ears.

Happy Monday.  Let the games begin!

No comments: