Tuesday, July 23, 2013

IU10 Day Two Part One-Landcraft Environments

Out of all the places we were scheduled to visit during IU10, I was most excited about the personal garden of Dennis Schrader and Bill Smith, owners of Landcraft Environments, a wholesale grower of tropicals, tender perennials and unusual annuals located in Mattituck.  Those of you who live in the northeast and buy lots of tender plants may recognize their signature HOT PLANTS brand nursery containers.  In my neck of the woods only the more discriminating nurseries stock them.  Every year I buy a ***few***.




A quick google search will show that I'm not the first blogger to visit Dennis and Bill's garden and I likely won't be the last. Pictures don't do the garden justice though so if you ever get a chance to visit in person, jump on it. Last weekend they participated in The Garden Conservancy Open Days.  If my memory serves me this is a once a season event.

From the shady side street, the attractive restored saltbox home gives few clues to the garden within.  Not until you begin to stroll up the driveway to the garden gate do you realize that this is no ordinary garden.  Along the way you pass beds stuffed with artistic combinations of bodacious tropical plants.  Emphasis is on foliage.  Excitement and anticipation build.  This is going to be good!

With the exception of the front of the house the entire garden is fenced to keep the hooved minions of Satan at bay.  Just outside the entry gate was this large tree draped in a cloak of Hydrangea petiolaris with a supporting cast of shady characters at it's feet.


 
 
 
Window boxes were overflowing with a creative medley of tender plants.  Oh to have a commercial greenhouse filled with tropical treasures at one's disposal!  
 
 
 
 
Once inside the gate we gathered in this impeccably maintained courtyard overflowing not only with plants but with attention to detail.  
 
 
 
 
 
Details like this playful mixture of foliage against the garage wall.
  
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sun drenched deck and patio areas created the perfect stage to display succulent collections.   
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
And if the garden wasn't fabulous enough, check out the house.
 
 


 
 
 
 
 
I loved the house. 
 
 
 
 
L-O-V-E-D the house.
 
 
 
 
Anyone relaxing on the covered back deck is treated to this long view of the garden.  In the distance is a garden area Dennis and Bill referred to as the controlled meadow. 
 
 
 
 
Flanking the lawn on the walk to the meadow are more beds chock full of tender and tropical plants.  A chilly, wet spring and late start left these plants sulking a bit in mid June but come August I imagine this garden is just an explosion of color. 
 
 
 
 
Bill and Dennis couldn't have been more generous and gracious with their time and knowledge.  Our group consists almost exclusively of zone pushing plant geeks who couldn't have been more appreciative.
 
 
Bill talks plants with part of our group
 
 
 
 
While Dennis leads the rest of the group through the meadow
 
 
 
  
 
Not too many roses make me stand up and take notice but this huge purple rambler got my attention.  Unfortunately this picture does not do it justice.  Weather conditions were beautiful for this trip but the clear sunny days made picture taking a challenge.  Most of mine came out overexposed to a point where no amount of photo editing could recapture the actual details.
 

 



 
 
Succulents in containers lurked around every corner.  I've just recently begun dabbling in this genre of plant design.  Fortunately for me I don't have all that much sun or interest to tend to plants indoors because I could see how quickly collecting these could become an obsession.

 
 
 
 
One of the many garden rooms we encountered throughout the three acre garden.
 
 
 
 
The Tiki House was an unexpected surprise in the middle of the garden.  At this point I would have been perfectly content to declare that it was noon somewhere and crack open a bottle of wine but we still had places to go and gardens to see.
 
 
 

 
Yes, we're still on Long Island.
 
 
 
 
What better place for a bunch of plant geeks to spend a beautiful summer morning?  Even if this garden was the only one I visited during the trip I would have gone home happy.  Thanks so much Dennis and Bill!  Please keep stocking CT nurseries with your Hot Plants.
 
And what better way to conclude a swoon worthy garden tour than some good food.  Following Dennis and Bill's suggestion, we had a delicious lunch at Love Lane Kitchen in downtown Mattituck.  Once again I have to give kudos to a restaurant for efficiently handling a group of 12 on such short notice.  Timing is everything though and we usually try to eat on the early side of mealtimes.
 
Since I've already rambled om long enough, I'm going to save the second half of this day for another post.  With four bloggers on this trip, good coverage was guaranteed.  My friend Deanne posted her take of the Landcraft garden weeks ago and although we probably took some of the same pictures, hers are infinitely better than mine.  When I took a looked at the calendar and realized over a month has passed since this visit I was honestly floored.  Life is so much about too much to do, so little time, isn't it?
 
Sue~ 
 
 
 
 
 

21 comments:

  1. Love all the tropicals...but I can imagine the care they demand. I'm drooling over the house too! love the clapboard and the window boxes...but I'm a sucker for window boxes.

    Looking forward to Part II!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last fall the only window box I had on the house fell off because the cat had been using it as a way to haunt me through the kitchen window. To recreate even the small plantings in this garden would require quite an investment in plants-none of which can be wintered over outside.

      Delete
  2. Oh Sue, this brings back great memories. It's hard to believe that was a month ago! I wish we could go and visit this again sometime soon. It was such a source of inspiration for me.

    So, I don't know what you are talking about, your pictures are great!!! Your photography keeps getting better and better. The effort you are putting into using the manual features of your camera really shows in your images.

    I love the shot of the patio with the agapanthus framing the lower right corner. Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to visit this garden periodically throughout the growing season just to see how it changes. With all the heat, the tropicals must just be spectacular now.

      Delete
  3. I l-o-v-e the house, too! I'm not a huge fan of tropicals and succulents but with that house and all of the garden rooms I imagine this is a phenomenal oasis on Lawn Guyland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a fan of tropicals and succulents? Give it time :).

      Delete
  4. Wow. I'm with you - I also adore that house. And were those actually crinums I saw? On Long Island? Seriously?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not well versed on everything being grown in the garden but I googled Crinums and Plant Delights lists them as zone 7 so I wouldn't doubt it.

      Delete
  5. This place is terrific. An, the house is wonderful. I would love to peek in the windows.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes the house is very nice, but I would spend all my time in that garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somebody spends alot of time in the garden. Dennis and Bill were apologizing for the condition and even confessed that they had dashed around the night before spiffing things up for us. It looked great to me but they did say that employees of the nursery assist with the maintenance.

      Delete
  7. Incredible! I loved every single photo - and that's not something I generally say/think about most on-line garden tours (or live tours, for that matter). That is a garden in which I could peacefully spend all my days. Of course, it makes me think I should tear up everything in my own garden and start over, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All great gardens make me feel that way. Since I already rip too much of my garden up every year without the influence of others, I try to put great gardens I visit into perspective and take away only ideas I can implement fairly easily. Sometimes it actually works.

      Delete
  8. Wow, what an amazing tour! And I like "hooved minions of Satan". We don't have those, fortunately, but must contend with the cottontailed minions of Satan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "so much to do, so little time"
    Exactly. But do the good stuff first. The rest will wait....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue, so cool that you have enough photos to really show how the house and garden are laid out and relate to each other. I must have walked around mostly slack-jawed because I have very few photos of LC, and it was one of my faves too. I'll be coming back to this post often!

    ReplyDelete