Friday, May 4, 2012

T G I F!

Here are a few of the activities I have to look forward to this weekend...


One of my favorite garden smells is fresh bark mulch.  I've already spread about three yards from the pile leftover from last season.  Today I had six additional yards delivered.  My garden will easily suck this up.  I used to order ten yards at a time but found the size of the pile overwhelming.  As much as I hate to admit it, I'm not as young as I used to be.  Plus, our first specialty annual buying trip is scheduled for next Sunday (Walker Farm Gardens in Brattleboro, VT) so my attention will have to be quickly refocused to moving, cleaning and designing the containers.  Phew!  I'm tired just thinking about it.


It's time to fire up the fountain in the screen porch garden.  Fountains can be a pain in the royal patootie because they require cleaning every couple of weeks but I could never be without the sound of water in the garden-especially off the screen porch where I often enjoy my morning coffee or evening glass of wine.



As you can see, the front de-gardening project still has a way to go.  Another garden friend is coming tomorrow to take the large Viburnum sargentii 'Onondaga' and the Fothergilla.  We will need to cut them back, dig them up and stuff them into the back of my SUV.  Fortunately she only lives a few miles across town.  The majority of what you see in these pictures will be returned to lawn.  Believe it or not but I'm actually looking forward to that day.

Add plant shuffling, mowing, working out, and other general household management tasks to the list and my weekend will be toast or I'll be toasted whatever comes first.  But as far as I'm concerned it can all wait.  Right now it's time for the important stuff.


It's Friday night.  Cheers!

No comments: