Thursday, November 7, 2013

It Was a Good Year

Here in my CT zone 6 garden, the beginning of November typically finds me up to my knees in fallen leaves and frost blackened foliage.  All my beloved tropicals have either been tucked into the garage awaiting a move into the house or long departed to the big compost pile in the sky.

Not this year.  All of the pictures here were taken on the evening of November first.  As temperatures hovered in the mid 60s F (unusual for this time of year), I strolled around the garden with my camera  capturing what I figured would be the last shots of the season.  And I was right.  A hard freeze Sunday night dealt the final blow to what had been an exceptionally long garden season.

The end of garden season always leaves me with mixed emotions.  Part of me is sad to see it all go-especially the mixed container gardens I spent so much time designing and nurturing.  But another part of me is relieved that I don't have to be a slave to it all anymore.




Don't get me wrong, by most standards garden season had been over for a few weeks.  Compared to July this view of my patio looks downright bleak.  However, I can't remember a year when I had bananas, Cannas and elephant ears still standing (and looking relatively decent) on November first.  Last year, a hard freeze on October 12th took everything out early.

So here you have it, the end of garden season 2013 at Idyll Haven.  All things considered, it was a good year.  





























 
  
 
 








 
 
 
 



 
 
 
 












 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
All that remains is the equivalent of a couple of weekends of dreary cleanup.  Now that clocks have been ratcheted back, weekends are the only time I have for garden activities and hiking has been taking up a large chunk of that time.  November can be bleak but my calendar is quickly filling up with fun stuff like a full moon hike, a Thanksgiving celebration with the best of friends and an out of town high school class reunion.
 
Somehow it will all get done.  I continue to struggle to keep all the balls in the air, but lately that struggle has less of a sense of urgency and more a sense of enjoyment.  Just be sure to call before stopping by,  Especially if you think there may be a chance that you will need to use the bathroom.
 
Yes, it was a good year.
 
Sue~
 
 
 
 

24 comments:

  1. Sue, thanks for sharing another season of your garden. Each year I set great garden expectations for myself, and every year I fail miserably! Thanks for letting me live vicariously in your back yard. Looking forward to next season already!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll spend the winter living vicariously through your food and restaurant reviews, Bonnie!

      Delete
  2. Any year I get to visit Idyll haven is a good year in my book ! I love these late season photos of your garden Sue--a mighty nice last gasp .

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good year indeed, and the first fall in several years that didn't end the season too early or too catastrophically. A good fall, and your garden shows it. Like you I enjoy the respite after summer is over. You've got a wonderful mix of New England fall foliage and big leaved tropicals together -- it's great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to a break from the garden Laurrie. In the fall, it becomes alot more work than fun. Hopefully by Thanksgiving weekend I'll be able to kick back and start getting into the holiday spirit.

      Delete
  4. It still looks good Sue. Wish we'd been able to see it a couple more times this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You had quite a show on November 1, the kind that many of us would have been thrilled with on July 1.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous and sad knowing that you got a freeze and it's all mush now. I'm happy for you that it lasted longer than last year! Since it's such a long drive from my place to yours, I'd probably need to use your restroom so I'll be sure to call before stopping by:) Glad to know that you're enjoying the juggling act!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you come all the way from Tacoma, Peter you can not only use my bathroom but my guestroom! :)

      Delete
  7. What a sendoff, with those autumn colors and big tropical leaves. Such beauty ensures that you will be a willing slave again next year. And I'm starting to eye all the hills around LA and wonder if this the year when I finally start regularly hiking too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The hiking group I found has been a godsend. Not just for the exercise-the people in the group are so full of fun.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for allowing me to enjoy your garden from afar! I also enjoy the break and not feeling so frantic to get things done. Now, if putting the garden to bed takes an extra week or two (or if it doesn't happen at all, quite frankly), that's okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a leaf removal deadline of this coming weekend. After that I can slow down a bit.

      Delete
  9. A beautiful ending to the season, Sue.

    And that post looks quite suitable for a superior form of life like a cat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The colors are absolutely stunning!!! As well as the variety of your collection is to die for! Thanks for sharing your little neck of the woods! Wishing you a most wonderful Autumn!

    Best wishes,
    Sheri
    www.pompanobeachgardening.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your incredible garden has definitely inspired me to add more annuals to my container garden, which is packed with perennials. Do your dahlias attract pollinators?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see bees on the Dahlias, Tammy. Have not noticed if butterflies are also visiting but they seem top be plentiful in my garden.

      Delete
  12. I think your garden was still looking pretty amazing in these photos. I especially like all the varieties of colocasia that you grow. I am also admiring the beautiful foliage of your Castor Bean Plant. I'm growing (until the first frost) the Castor Bean Plant 'New Zealand Purple.' No seeds yet though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe it or not but birds were eating the seeds off the Castor Bean earlier in the season. I was shocked because the plant gets so much publicity for being toxic.

      Delete
  13. I can understand the mixed feelings about the end of your season - somewhere around this time of year when I begin to feel as though I've become a slave to the rigors of our fall planting season, I begin to envy those gardeners who can look forward to a little down time. In any case, your garden certainly did you proud this year - I loved the picture of the castor bean plant foliage against the color of the house behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looking forward to a little down time here. Another week or so of cleanup to go here in Ontario.(Canada) I haven't even been hiking... Where do you ever find the time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm waaaay overbooked right now but so far nothing has become completely unglued.

      Delete
  15. Sue, your garden, its colors and design, are a study in joy and art. Well worth the attention it must demand. I hope your slowing down, even for a little while, will bring much pleasure in other pursuits. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very impressive, especially for November. I too feel that it's kind of a relief to take a break from the garden, and was thinking that once I get my tulips in I will sit back and relax. Then I saw a Danae racemosa for $5 and decided well, maybe just one more thing before I relax for the winter.

    ReplyDelete