Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Bloom Day-May 2013

 
Euphorbia polychroma and Daphne x transatlantica 'Jim's Pride', live happily dry part shade on my wall garden.

Welcome to May Garden Bloggers Bloom Day at Idyll Haven, a month of too many flowers and not enough time to smell them.  Crunch time has arrived.  Plant buying trips are in full swing.  Trays of annuals and perennials are stacking up on my patio.  I have alot of planting to do.  Last week we finally got a few drops of rain which coaxed a bumper crop of weeds out of the ground.  Later this week I'll order my first truckload of mulch.

A frost warning Monday night sent me scrambling to stash all the tender plants in the garage.  Thankfully it turned out to be a false alarm so I schlepped them all back out last night.  Slowly but surely the containers are finding their way out of storage.  Did I mention that I have alot of planting to do?

For the past couple of days I've been dashing in and out of the house with the camera before and after work in an attempt to capture the essence of mid May around here for Bloom Day.  Since I now force myself to use the camera on manual settings, the learning curve has gummed up the works somewhat.  Despite the challenges though, I think I managed to get a few decent shots.


 
 
Also on the wall garden, some gold leaf Iberis sempervirens, Phlox subulata, Hyacinthoides hispanica a newly planted Dianthus x 'Brigadier'.
 
 



 
An unknown cultivar of pass along Iris germanica.
 
 
 
 
Continuing to the shady end of the wall, Anthriscus sylvestris 'Ravenswing' which appears to be duking it out with Perilla.  Hardly anything I plant grows well in the dry, part shade on top of the wall so I tend to let aggressive ground covers and re seeders have their way.  The Columbines below are also members of that gang of hoodlums.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A few years ago in the fall, when I converted my heating system to natural gas, a backhoe came in trashed my front shade garden.  The following spring I rebuilt it with plants I was able to scavenge from other parts of the garden.  Designed with foliage, it looks good all season.  The biggest floral explosion happens in the spring.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Until I started taking pictures for Bloom Day, I didn't realize how many of these Spanish bluebells I had tucked all over the place.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Also in the front garden, Pieris japonica 'Cavatine' and an unknown Pulmonaria with what I believe is Hosta 'Fragrant Bouquet' and the foliage of Hydrangea quercifolia 'Pee Wee'.  Pulmonaria is another plant that reseeds itself in spots I would never think to plant it.
 
 
 
 
Another 'Cavatine', a much later bloomer than 'Valley Valentine' which made it into my April bloom day lineup but is has been finished for a couple of weeks.
 
 
 
 
Despite the bad rap it can get from it's spreading tendency, I like Ajuga.
 
 
 
 
In fact, I encourage it to spread into the lawn.  Last week, I finally had to break down and mow the front lawn but I used the hand trimmer around the ajuga so not to destroy the fabulous flower display.
 
 
 
 
 
Creeping phlox is starting to fade.  And despite being run over multiple times by people who don't know how to back out of driveways, the Euonymus fortunei 'Emerald and Gold' powers on.
 
 
 
Dicentra eximia is another reseeding plant that shows up in the best places.  The purple black foliage of Ligularia 'Britt Marie Crawford' provides the perfect backdrop.
 
 
 
 
Another reseeded D. eximia with variegated lily of the valley, and some Carex.
 
 
 
 
A sea of white Galium odoratum carpets the feet of  Dicentra spectabilis 'Alba'.  In the upper right corner Azalea 'Delaware Valley White' is just beginning to bloom.
 
 
 
 
On the other side of the Azalea, more Galium mingles with Primula, Hosta and the fading flowers of a Hellebore.
 
 
 
 
Although I find variegated Solomon Seal (Polygonatum odoratum 'Variegatum') useful in shade gardens, I was surprised to learn it was awarded Perennial Plant of the Year for 2013.
 
 
 
 
 
Chrysogonum virginianum is a tough customer.  Here is it actually spreading under a sugar maple in my horribly dry garden out by the street.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Enkianthus campanulatus and Rhododendron 'Capistrano'
 
 
 


 
 
Rhododendron yakushimanum 'Ken Janek'
 
 
 
 
 
I've lost track of the cultivar name of this yaku rhodie but I'm guessing it's 'Crete'.
 
 
 
 
 
One of my favorite shrubs Viburnum plicatum tomentosum 'Summer Snowflake' mixes well with the foliage of Acer palmatum 'Orangeola'.  I just moved the maple to this spot a month or so ago because I couldn't find anywhere else to plant it.  At the time I wasn't considering it as a companion plant for the Viburnum but it certainly looks like it will work.
 
 
 
 
 
Unfortunately this Daphne x transatlantica 'Summer Ice' is in decline.  I plan to cut it way back after this first flush and see if I can get it to grow more compact.  However, I will always have at least one of these growing somewhere because they bloom from now til past frost.
 
 
 
 
 
Recent rain took out many of the flowers of Magnolia x 'Sunspire' but buds are still opening so a few stragglers remain.
 
 
 
 
Daffodils are long gone and I haven't planted tulips in many years.  Last year I removed some small trees and cleaned up this garden apparently to the liking of this patch of Spring Green Tulips.  Acer palmatum 'Aka Shigitsu sawa' is one of my favorite Japanese maples for spring foliage.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Tulips, Allium and grape hyacinth are coming up in the front garden where I am restoring some of the lawn.  Going forward this will make spring mowing tricky.  Between these and the ajuga, I may end up hand trimming the whole lawn.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Iberis sempervirens skirting a variegated Yucca.
 
 
 
 
Here's an odd duck that I picked up at Broken Arrow this spring-Peucedanum ostruthium 'Daphnis'.  Try saying that one three times fast.  Based on the cultural recommendation, I probably have it growing in too much sun but time will tell.
 
 
 
 
Deutzia gracilis 'Chardonnay Pearls' just beginning to bloom.  Have a mentioned that Japanese painted fern (Athyrium niponicum) is one of my favorite foliage plants?
 
 
 
 
Persicaria bistorta is one of those take it or leave it plants for me.  Right now it lives due to my laziness.  If something came along that I really wanted to grow and couldn't find the space anywhere else, I would have no problem removing it.
 
 
 
Another plant I find is happier when allowed to reseed where it prefers to grow is Centaurea montana.  Here it has chosen to join a variegated Yucca, Microbiota decussata and Lychnis coronaria 'Alba' in the curb garden, a somewhat inhospitable environment.
 
 
 
The earliest of all daylilies to bloom, Hemerocallis flava, another filler plant in a spot I don't need for anything else.
 
 
 
 
 
This combination of Dicentra spectabilis 'Gold Heart' and Rhododendron yakushimanum 'Ken Janek' is absolutely spectacular right now.  However, I must have taken fifty photos of it for this post and cannot capture what my eye sees.
 
 
 
 
 
My apologies for running so long with this post.  Considering I don't plant for spring interest does not bode well for upcoming Bloom Days.  I want to thank Carol at May Dreams Gardens for hosting this monthly event.
 
Happy Spring!
 
Sue~


32 comments:

  1. You put up a lovely post full of gorgeous flowers and yet I find myself looking at all the luscious foliage instead. Well except for that Magnolia x 'Sunspire' which I'm pretty sure I've commented about previously, love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these months I'll have to do a foliage follow up. Usually by the time I finish posting bloom day and then getting around to see what others have done I'm out of time.

      Delete
  2. We have ajuga all over our lawn, too, and I've finally convinced my husband that he should NOT mow it down!

    Your gardens look so well tended--just beautiful! I found the Solomon's Seal and Chrysogonum virginianum especially interesting, as I am always on the lookout for things that will do well under trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardening under trees can be tough. I don't do alot of watering but if you're willing to commit to watering regularly, your plant options increase tremendously.

      Delete
  3. Bravo Sue!!!! You really have a lot going on there! Your gardens are fabulous. Great post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, I can't believe that your rhodendrons are already blooming! We're still on late daffodils and early lilacs up here in the hills!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Occasionally I shop at nurseries in northeast CT and am aways amazed at how far behind me they usually are in terms of plant progress. It's not like CT is a large state.

      Delete
  5. I love all the whites, including the cat. Your Enkianthus is amazing. Mine is "subtle" - to be polite. You put up with things I try to remove...like allium. They're lovely, but I have a zillion even though I remove their seedheads. Then there's the sweet woodruff and the Ravenswing. All beautiful, but time consuming to restrict. But most of all I admire what I believe is Syneilesis aconitifolia in your sixth photo. I love your "odd duck" too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allium (I think it's Purple Sensation) is starting to become a problem in a couple of garden areas. I never realized it was a spreader. Galium isn't a problem for me and believe it or not but Perilla is a more rampant reseeder than anything else in the garden.

      Delete
  6. Wow, so much going on in your garden. I love it. You may not think you plant for spring interest, but you have some early showstoppers! Isn't spring wonderful after a little bit of rain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rain was definitely welcome but the benefit appears to have worn off here. With temps in the low 80s, I came home to alot of wilted newly planted and transplanted plants tonight. Time to break out the sprinklers I think.

      Delete
  7. Your garden is absolutely gorgeous. You have done an incredible job combining colors and textures. I especially like the dark foliaged ligularia and your white cat and the purple tulip. Well, I like it all. I think you have mastered garden photography!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ligularia 'Britt Marie Crawford' is one (yes there are many) of my favorite foliage plants. As far a garden photography goes, now that I have a few good clues practice will make perfect.

      Delete
  8. Wow, you don't plant for spring. I can't imagine how more prolific the blooms in your garden would be with attention to this time. Your garden is beeuuutiful. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa. I think I've been lucky with some spreading and reseeding plants I purchased years ago. Although this year I have been focusing more on adding perennials so it will be interesting to see how things shape up next spring.

      Delete
  9. I do love a shade garden. So much texture and flowers are just a bonus! Sweet woodruff is tough and delicate at the same time. Have you dried the leaves? They smell like heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I've never dried the leaves. Now I'm curious and will have to give it a try.

      Delete
  10. Spring may have been slow to arrive in your area but, when she did, she certainly showed up in all her glory. Thanks for sharing your garden - and for all the kind comments on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your welcome, Kris. I hope some happier days are headed your way soon.

      Delete
  11. Don't apologize, you've got a lot of great stuff to show! I am awed. I love your white dicentra and the mass of Solomon seal. And yes, I can see that you like ajuga!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ajuga gets such a bad rap and it's so easy to pull out. I wish some plant breeder would hybridize a Dicentra that doesn't go dormant. The foliage would be so nice to work with all season-especially 'Gold Heart'.

      Delete
  12. "don't plant for spring interest"? -- could have fooled me! So funny about Persicaria bistorta, a plant I've always wished I could grow. That's too bad about Daphne 'Summer Ice,' but at least 'Jim's Pride' is going gangbusters. And love the Peucedanum ostruthium 'Daphnis' -- wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daphne has a bad habit of just up and dying for no reason after 5 or 10 years. The weight of the branches usually splits the trunk at the base and they slowly rot. 'Jims Pride' is growing in a very dry part of my garden. Maybe that's the secret.

      Delete
  13. Your garden looks fabulous right now...I think I'm most impressed by the vignette of Dicentra underplanted with Sweet Woodruff...that's an inspired combination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And like so many great combinations, I can't take credit for it :).

      Delete
  14. Absolutely lovely! And I envy you having "a spot I don't need for anything else". Cherish the space - any new plants in my garden go in only with the help of a shoe horn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Incredible! Everything looks so beautiful and I can' believe you have so much blooming going on already!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your garden. Beautiful. Those purple tulips are amazing. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You have a great selection of blooms. I like the way the garden is designed too with gentle curves.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have so many blooms! Everything looks great. :o) The plant you picked up at Broken Arrow is really cool. I've never heard of it but then again, I always learn about plants I'm unfamiliar with on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't get over how your garden seems to have gone from winter-mode to gorgeous and full of blooms in no time flat. You have so many beautiful plants, but since I am newly in love with rhododendrons after seeing them in the Pacific Northwest, I will fixate on those. I think I need to move!

    ReplyDelete