Monday, April 1, 2013

Symphytum x uplandicum 'Axminster Gold'

Welcome April and welcome to my centennial blog post.  I've planned nothing special to mark the occasion except to thank those of you who have been reading and commenting here for the past eleven or so months.  Although I don't consider this a garden blog, gardening is how I spend most of my free time so by default most of my posts are about gardening and most of my readers are gardeners.  Going forward I hope I can continue to find the time and subject matter to keep things interesting and to keep regular readers coming back.

In my annual spring quest to shuffle plants into what I hope will be more pleasing and creative combinations I spend lots of time perusing photos from last garden season.  During a recent perusal session I came across a plant that I relocated last spring and in the process turned it into one of my garden stars.   

That plant is Symphytum x uplandicum 'Axminster Gold'.





For many years I had this plant tucked away in an obscure corner of the garden behind a Boxwood and under Hydrangea quercifolia 'Alice' to provide the shade I thought it required. 

In 2011, I attended the Buffalo Garden Walk as part of my annual "idyllunion" weekend with internet garden friends.  After the walk, we moved the party to Rochester for a few days where we had the opportunity to visit some lovely private gardens including the garden of Jerry Kral.  Jerry is a true plant collector and has created one of the finest residential private gardens I have ever seen.

At the beginning of the tour, as we came around a corner onto the driveway, the first plant that caught my eye was a beautifully grown specimen of 'Axminster Gold' growing happily in what appeared to be full sun.  In late July.  Huh?

When asked, Jerry said as long as it received regular water it was perfectly happy in what I would have considered too sunny a spot.  Jerry also indicated that he was not fond of the flowers so he cut off the flowering stalks.

Immediately my mind went into design mode.  My plant looked great in the spring, flowered and then proceeded to look like crap which is why I never considered moving it into a more front and center position in the garden.  Occasionally I would deadhead and dead leaf it but only if I fell over it.  My mistake.

Last spring I got out early and dug it up.  I had heard they were difficult to propagate and they are expensive to buy so I was a bit concerned when the root mass fell apart.  But I took a chance and made three divisions.  One I planted in mostly shade with a bit of morning sun next to the patio.





The second went into the screen porch garden on the east side of my house, far enough from the house where I it would get a good shot of sun.





Division number three was gifted to one of my very deserving garden friends.

Both of my transplants were planted near annuals and container gardens so I was able to make sure they received regular water.  I did let them flower but was quick to cut off the flowering stalks as soon as they finished as well as any tattered leaves.  They were gorgeous all season.  Here is a perfect example of how important it is to plant the right plant in the right site.








Symphytum x uplandicum 'Axminster Gold' produces fresh new foliage all season so although the leaves do get ratty, removing them doesn't diminish the plant in any way.  The foliage is covered in irritating prickly hairs so best to wear gloves when handling it but that's about the only negative.




If you're a foliage nut and not already growing this (and can find one reasonably priced), what are you waiting for?


Sue~





28 comments:

  1. Never saw it before, Sue. I'm waiting for spring! (Since you asked!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you could find a spot for one somewhere, Marie. Spring is coming although not in CT today (or tomorrow).

      Delete
  2. Congrats Sue on your centennial ! Your blog is always worth reading. I planted my AG in full sun in spite of my misgivings..if I lived at the coast it would be a different matter. I was pleasantly surprised, as long as I kept it watered (and both of mine are planted right next to my irrigation) and cut off the crappy foliage it was a star.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the WFF link I posted, it grows in zone 5-7 so I'm surprised it is doing well for you. Just goes to show you that sometimes a plant is worth a try.

      Delete
  3. It's interesting how you were "blaming" the plant for being uninteresting, when it really just wanted to live in another spot. Now that you found the way to grow Axminster Gold, it is rewarding you. Those leaves are eye catching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just thought blooming and then looking like crap was what the plant did. Lots of plants-especially earlier bloomers behave that way. Usually I give plants a couple of chances to strut their stuff if they don't grow as expected in the first spot I choose. Glad I woke up with this one.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your 100th post. That's just great. I really enjoy all you insights.

    I'm so happy I'm a deserving gardening friend. I LOVE this plant! as you say it's a star in the garden. Great post and great pictures Sue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I enjoy yours. Speaking of which...will we be getting back to that blog again anytime soon?

      Delete
  5. I've never commented before so the 100th post seems like a good time to tell you I really enjoy your blog. I even tried to go to Matunuck Oyster Bar after my first trip to Farmer's Daughter and there was an hour wait and no room at the bar. In March no less! I think there was a private party going on. Oh well, I'll try it next time. You made it look so good. Keep up the great work and thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michele-Lee! Glad you're enjoying my semi-incessant babbling. The trick to Matunuck Oyster Bar is to get there right when they open which is 11:30 for lunch. Normally I never eat at any times that could be considered "early bird" but for Matunuck I make an exception.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on your 100th post! I've enjoyed every one of them! I love variegated foliage but did the same thing you did putting this in the shade. It never looked good after flowering and after a few years reverted to solid green leaves so mine went away. Thanks to your insight, I'll look for another this year and find a better place for it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More sun, regular water and frequent dead leafing. Makes it sound a bit high maintenance but for this plant, it's worth the effort.

      I'm enjoying the books I won at your 100th post, Peter. Lately I've been referring to them for new plant combo ideas. Good stuff!

      Delete
    2. Glad you're enjoying the books! I thought of you this weekend when I found a new Symphytum x uplandicum 'Axminster Gold' Now, to find just the right place...

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. I'll give it my best shot, Lee. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
  8. I saw this plant years ago in Fine Gardening and loved it. Sadly, it is another one of those northern climate plants. But yours look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't check but I assume Plant Delights doesn't carry this? Maybe it's a combination of heat and humidity that is the kiss of death. Well, I'm sure there are plenty of things you can grow that I can only dream about here :).

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on #100! Each and every post has been great! Hmmmm. This looks like an interesting plant to give a try, and I have just the sunny spot for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it a shot! You should be able to find one at Natureworks or Broken Arrow.

      Delete
  10. Sue, that's a wonderful plant! I love the the variegation in the leaf, really handsome! Lucky Deanne, to have received a transplant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deanne is very generous with plants so I'm always happy when I can reciprocate with something out of the ordinary.

      Delete
  11. This looks like a really cool plant. I've never seen it before. It looks like a cross between a hosta and a variegated brunnera. Congrats on 100! I love the humor and reality in your writing. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rough texture of the leaves is similar to Brunnera. I love finding plants with a tropicalesque feel that are hardy. Thanks Tammy, I enjoy and get a chuckle out of your blog as well.

      Delete
  12. Congratulations on your 100th post! The Symphytum is beautiful - I've never seen it locally but I'll keep my eyes pealed. I hope this year's spring shuffle yields similarly splendid results.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You mean there's other subjects besides gardens?
    Oh, yeah, I've killed AG. It was a water hog here, if I remember correctly.
    And here's to 100 more, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow 100, hard to believe. I saw Axminster Gold on a gardening show a number of years ago and have wanted one since. I've not found it locally and recall trying to locate it online without much success. I'm a firm believer in moving plants around to find the spot where they come into their own.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on 100. I too am one that removes the flowers, like I do on many Hosta. The foliage is beautiful and I use them in design to brighten up a spot. I like the vignette you have the plant shown in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My landlady would know these. Past ninety now and she still putters around in her garden.

    ReplyDelete