Tuesday, January 15, 2013

January Bloom Day-Yes I Said January!

January Bloom Day?  Count me in! 

OK so I'm pushing the envelope a bit here but cut me some slack.  After all it's January in New England.  Most years my garden is covered with snow and the plants are all playing dead.  So far, 2013 has graced us with unusually mild weather.  Normally our average daily temperature for this time in January is 34 F,  Yesterday we hit the mid to upper 50s.  Although I enjoy the warmer temps, I'm aware of the potential negative impact on the garden.  But let's face it-every year it's something. 

I believe the party is over as of tonight.  As usual though, the weather people don't seem to have a clue.  So far the crystal ball has gone from snow changing to rain to 1-2" and now up to 4" of the fluffy white stuff.  Halfway through the storm tomorrow they'll all look out the window and update the totals then crow about how accurate they were.  Don't get me started. 

Thanks to Carol at May Dreams Garden for hosting this monthly (sort of) event.  Usually my Arnold Promise witch hazel blooms around Valentine's Day so with any luck I'll make a legitimate return in February.


Pay no attention to the ratty foliage and just look at the buds on this Helleborus foetidus.  It won't be long now!




If you look REALLY close (and have a very vivid imagination) you can still see some life in the flowers of Allium thunbergii 'Ozawa'



Although this variegated Pieris is only in bud, it certainly LOOKS like it's blooming to me.  Plus I think the foliage contrast with Microbiota decussata is a winner

Unfortunately, even with stretching things a bit that was about all I could find.  Not even the old reliable Daphne x transatlantica 'Summer Ice' had any flowers.  Better luck next month!

Stay warm!


Sue~






20 comments:

  1. No flowers in my CT garden either, Sue. In northern gardens it's all about foliage and texture. Thank goodness for leucothoe, pieris and other evergreens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're absolutely right, Joene. Had I given the project more thought I would have scouted around a bit more and put something together for Foliage Follow Up tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. How cheerful to find buds in the midst of winter!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winter gardens are full of promise.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Winter gardens are full of promise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they certainly can be. Now I'm looking forward to February Bloom Day but will my garden be up to the challenge? Guess I'll have to wait and see...

      Delete
  5. I bought Allium thunbergii 'Ozawa'because it was so cute and bloomed late in the season. But the fact that a clump of it looks so nice in winter is its biggest asset. Little did I know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little did I know, Marie. Usually I cut it down in the fall. Now I'm wondering why I don't have it planted all over the place.

      Delete
  6. We'll get snow of some kind tonight here in CT and that will pretty things up in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like the snow will be a partial changeover. My snowblower is in the shop so I hope the current 1-3" prediction is reasonable :).

      Delete
  7. Looks like you got quite a bit of snow. We haven't gotten any here on Long Island yet except for a slight dusting. Your Hellibores are so much fun poking through the white stuff! Yes...stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you've gotten a lot more of a thaw than we have here. Great shots Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just about all the snow is gone but there's more on the way! Boo hiss!

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed your pieris-I enjoy variegated plants. Here in upstate New York, we have nothing in bloom right now. Our warmup didn't last as long as yours did but - you are going to get more snow than us tonight. Maybe. Now we can get some natural winter protection again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As much as I'm not a fan of snow I do have to admit that for winter protection it can't be beat. At least the temperatures seem to remaining somewhat moderate going forward. No deep freezes-at leat not here.

      Delete
  10. Jeesh, I think you have bloomier stuff that I do..no bloom day here ! With several nights in a row in the bottom 20's whatever was blooming has bit the dust.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello? West coast calling. We want our temperatures back and we'll gladly send back to you this cold 20's - 30's stuff that you're so fond of. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Guess I haven't been tracking the weather too closely, because I didn't know you were having a mildish winter so far. Glad to hear you're getting a break. I never met an allium I didn't like and love the stinkin' hellebore!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You give me hope that there's some green life out there in my backyard...somewhere. PS: Love the new header - the blues are amazingly vibrant!

    ReplyDelete